Check out the latest in this week's edition of the Las Vegas Lowdown.
FIRST FRIDAY CELEBRATES "HOT AUGUST NIGHTS"
The Aug. 4 First Frida's theme is "Hot August Nights."
This month's featured artist is Justin Lepper, a local contemporary artist who paints, sculpts, designs, and more.
Rock & Review, Race for October will continue in August with another winner in this competition of local bands. In October, the four winners will go head-to-head and the ultimate winner will be chosen.
Highlights for this month include:
- Alternative to Driving: Las Vegas Rickshaw pedi cabs drop off and pick up at Coolidge and 1st Street. There will be rides from downtown Las Vegas to First Friday and back all night.
- Art Style: Emerging and established artists, arts, and crafts curated by artist Izaac Zevalking, along with interactive painting for those who want to explore their own creativity.
- ArtWalk: From 5 p.m. – 11 p.m. work by emerging Las Vegas artists will be showcased. Check out the artist booths in the main festival area. Be sure to stop by the Arts Factory and Art Square, and visit the many art galleries and studios.
- Paint by Numbers: Occurs every First Friday with Jasmine Farro and Friends
- Kids Zone: Located in Boulder Plaza.
- Epyk Dance DepARTment: From 5 p.m. – 11 p.m., First Friday patrons can learn about a variety of dance forms, listen to music, and make new friends all while getting good exercise. Location for the Dance DepARTment is on Coolidge (between 1st and Main Streets).
- Community Productions Drum Circle: From 5 p.m. – 11 p.m. there is Drum Circle participation all night long.
- Food & Drink: From 5 p.m. – 11 p.m., explore the many options for your taste buds as the First Friday culinary experience is back in full force with delicious options from a wide variety of food trucks and artisan food vendors, along with special drinks at First Friday bars. And, try out one of the many restaurants in the Arts District. Enjoy drinks at the many bars both in the First Friday event area and nearby in the Arts District.
- Music: E320 Entertainment Group presents live entertainment on the main stage from 5 - 11 p.m. Battle of the Bands: featuring School of Rock – Green Valley, Angela Kerfoot, TEEJ, and Spectrum.
- And also brought to you again by local merchants: the southern end of the Arts District offers antiques and fun happenings for guests. Streets will be blocked from California Avenue to the north, Casino Center Boulevard to the east, Colorado Avenue to the south and Antique Alley (one block east of Main Street) to the west.
For more information, visit the First Friday website.
102.7 THE COYOTE'S COUNTRY FEST 2017
102.7 The Coyote’s Country Fest 2017 is bringing some of country music’s top artists to the Orleans Arena on Saturday, Aug. 5. The event will be hosted by 102.7 The Coyote’s Kris and Mad Dog from “Mornings with Kris and Mad Dog,” and is starring the dynamic country music duo Dan + Shay who will perform their top hits.
The Country Fest 2017 lineup also features performances by Jordan Davis, Trent Tomlinson, Brooke Eden, Devin Dawson, Brandon Lay, and more.
The event is held at the Orleans Arena at 4500 West Tropicana Avenue and will begin at 7 p.m.
Tickets are available from $15 plus tax and fees, and can be purchased by calling Ticketmaster at 800-745-3000; online at www.orleanscasino.com, or in-person at gift shops inside The Orleans, Suncoast, Gold Coast, and Sam’s Town. Tickets may also be purchased the day of the show (depending on availability) at the venue box office.
For more information, visit the Country Fest 2017 event page.
SHARKNADO 5 WORLD PREMIERE AT THE LINQ
The LINQ Hotel and Casino will host the Official World Premiere for the fifth installment of Syfy’s highly-anticipated “Sharknado 5: Global Swarming.”
The event will feature a star-studded red carpet and premieres on Syfy on Aug. 6 at 8 p.m. EST / 5 p.m. PST.
Many of the film's stars will hit the red carpet, including Ian Ziering, Tara Reid, Cassie Scerbo, Masiela Lusha, and more.
The LINQ Hotel and Casino is located at 3535 Las Vegas Boulevard South.
For more information about the film, visit the Sharknado 5 website.